Announcing the new Members Only Newsletter of the A.M.B.A.® -“Meishan Piglets to Meishan Pork Chops”
In the course of any month we here at the American Meishan Breeders Association®field a lot of questions about Meishan Pigs. Most concern their rare critically endangered status. Many people are eager to learn more about raising the breed because they care about conserving heritage breeds. But invariably there is always this question “Is there a market for them? “. Because in the end if you breed a highly prolific pig at some point you are going to have to sell something. Either piglets as breeders or feeders ,or as premium pork. I have been the member of over a dozen breed registries in the years we have been farming. I have sat on the board of directors of two separate endangered swine registries. And to my knowledge every registry would answer the above question emphatically YES! But none of those organization provided anything but platitudes to back that up. The American Meishan Breeders Association ®plans to take a different approach.
A Newsletter with a different focus- The Business of Conservation
In November of 2018 we launched a Members Only Newsletter.In December of 2018 we decided to sharpen the focus of that newsletter.That is we intend to share with our members our research into both the overall Heritage Hog market for both breeding stock and pork. Stage One will be analytical data drawn from Google to gauge the inquiries into Meishan Pigs (breed information inquiries, sales inquiries and pork inquiries ). We intend to compare those to other heritage pork breeds and breeds that are marketed as premium pork sources.We will track trends over time and gauge growth of awareness of the breed and its relative trends to other breeds.
They are looking.But can they find you?
In addition to gauging the level of interest we intend to look into how customers find our members. People can’t buy anything from you when they don’t know you have something for sale. They certainly can’t buy from you when they do not know you even exist. Each month the A.M.B.A. Newsletter “Meishan Piglets to Meishan Pork, The Business of Conservation” . Will track how we as an organization, and our Certified Member Breeders listed on the Breeder Locator, perform in Meishan related searches. We will track actual Keywords and Key Phrases and report real data provided to us by Google. Did you know that the American Meishan Breeders Association® is a page one result on the following keyword searches :
- Meishan Pig
- Meishan Pigs For Sale
And that the American Meishan Breeders Association is the number one Google result for this keyword search:
That also means all of our A.M.B.A.®Certified Breeder and Foundation Life Members are on the front page for these same Google searches. Why? Because these members and these members alone are listed in the A.M.B.A.® Breeder Locator. But the new newsletter wont stop there . We will be offering insights into various social media platforms and search tools potential Meishan Piglet and Meishan Pork customers use to research and buy heritage pigs and premium pork. We will offer insights taken from some of the top Search Engine Optimization (SEO) experts on how to better place your farm and your products in front of customers. We will discuss search algorithms of multiple social media and search platforms and how to use them to effectively market yourself as a breeder of A.MB.A. Certified Pure Meishan Pigs® or as a supplier of A.M.B.A. Certified Meishan Pork®.
There is Value in Membership.
Our member newsletter goes out to every level of membership.From thirty day trials to A.M.B.A.® Foundation Life Members. But it is only at the A.M.B.A.® Certified Breeder Membership levels and up that member breeders maximize our work in branding the value of A.M.B.A. Certified Pure Meishan Pigs® and A.M.B.A. Certified Meishan Pork®. With the New Year approaching we hope you will consider upgrading to being a Certified Breeder Member of the A.M.B.A.®. 100% of our revenue goes towards promoting and preserving Meishan Pigs. Ours is a volunteer staff. Currently an Associate Membership costs $20 annually and a Certified Breeder Membership only costs $60 annually. That’s just a bit more that $3 a month to be listed on the Breeder Locator, have the ability to use the Certified Trade Mark A.M.B.A. Certified Meishan Pork®, and benefit from the investment of time and capital the A.M.B.A.® is making in marketing its members and branding the Meishan Pig. You can upgrade at any time and receive a pro-rated credit for your current membership. We will also soon be announcing a monthly subscription payment plan for our Certified Breeder Members. Don,t delay as we there will be a membership price increase January 1st 2019.
More Coming in 2019!
We aren’t stopping at the newsletter. In 2019 we have several projects and marketing plans on the horizon.
- Approaching The USDA F.S.I.S. and Ag Marketing Group to obtain a blanket approval for our Certified breeder and Foundation Life members to prominently feature the trademark A.M.B.A. Certified Meishan Pork® prominently on USDA processed pork packaging.We will be submitting names of member breeders to the USDA to streamline that process for you. Updates will only occur quarterly so you need to be a Certified Breeder Member or higher when this project is complete.We have already begun this process.
- Continue our work with the Livestock Conservancy in documenting and preserving Meishan Pig Genetics in North America. This will include advertising in the Conservancy Newsletter and print and online breeders directory.
- We are in the early stages of planning a major culinary event on the East Coast which will feature Meishan Pork. More to come on this in upcoming newsletter.
- We will continue to reach out to National Magazines to feature Meishan Pigs in more articles . In 2018 Meishan Pigs were featured in Out Here Magazine, Country Side Magazine and Farm Show Magazine. This form of press will continue to raise awareness for the breed.
- In the first quarter in 2019 we intend to launch www.meishanpork.com (we already own the URL) a portal to connect foodies,food bloggers and chefs with our A.M.B.A.® Certified Breeder Members who are focused on selling Meishan Pork .
It has been an exciting two years. But the journey in saving these amazing animals has only just begun. I sincerely wish you and yours a meryy Christmas and a Happy Holiday.
American Meishan Breeders Association